Reasons to Expand Your Existing Home
- You love your neighborhood, its location and the venues, shopping and food choices.
- Your family has or will increase either due to more children or aging parents moving in.
- Your home no longer meets your needs due to expanding hobbies or work requirements.
- You have enough space on your property to build out.
- Your home is structurally durable enough to build up.
- Every other home has performed renovations, additions and/or upgrades, and you’re not over-improving for your area.
The Big Question – Should I Move or Improve!
Determining the Types of Rooms You Need
Typical Ground Level Additions
- California room or sunroom
- Family or living room
- Garage additions
- In-Law suite, Usually with a private entrance
- Kitchen expansion, Usually with new patio doors to the backyard
- New laundry room next to the kitchen, Usually with an additional exit to the yard and a mud room area.
Typical Second Story Additions
- Crafting or hobby rooms
- Exercise room, usually next to the master bedroom
- Master suite
- New laundry room next to bedrooms
- Office expansion, usually with a private entrance
- Over garage addition
- Private family gathering spaces
- Standard bedroom
- Master suite, especially dual master suites
- Family rooms and private living spaces
- Storage and holiday rooms
- Studies and reading rooms
- Exercise and hobby rooms